I want to record an original song, but I’ve never been to a recording studio…What does the process look like and what is the cost?
This is a question I answer all the time at Infinite Recording Studios.
Professionally recording for the first time is a magical experience. Maybe you play guitar, piano and sing or rap over beats. Maybe you’re passionate a lyricist. You have an idea in your head and now here is your chance to make it come alive—WOW! Then the reality sets in… what studio, where, and who will produce it? This bursts your bubble. You may feel overwhelmed, especially when you think about the big question…how much does it cost to record a song? Since this is probably the most stressful part, let’s get it out of the way.
The cost of single song production can range anywhere from $250-$10,000. This depends on amount of hours the song itself will take to produce, the expertise of the producer, the equipment, and the studio location.
A few tips to reduce time and cost…
- PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT…If you’re concerned about amount time and cost, have your song as complete as possible before coming into the studio.
- COME UP WITH A REALISTIC BUDGET…how much do you want to spend on each song? Can you save up? How quickly would you like to complete the song or EP.
- FIND A PRODUCER & STUDIO YOU VIBE WITH…don’t just choose the closest place to you.
This is your art, your music, your money and time. Find out what you are getting yourself into and shop around.
Here’s a few questions you could ask….
- Can I come in for tour or a consultation?
- Can I take a tour of the studio?
- Do you have examples of your work?
- What genre of music do you specialize in?
- How long have you been creating music?
- Do you play an instrument?
- Are you a home based studio or commercial business?
- How long has the studio been in business?
- Does this producer or engineer’s style match mine?
- Do I have to pay one lump sum or can I pay by the hour?
- Do you have payment plans?
- Who will make the creative decisions?
When in doubt, trust your instincts!
It’s your music and your sound. The possibilities are endless. Don’t settle for less than what you’ve been dreaming of.